So in a few hours, I'll be flying to San Diego, which is in Southern California. I'll be there for 2 days (1 night), managing an Amdocs booth at a tradeshow... called the IMS Evolution Summit. I'll be staying at the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge on the beach (picture of location on the right)... right across the street from the conference (good thing, as I still don't have my driver's license!!!).
IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) is a new network layer that aims to enable service providers (telco's) to rollout a "killer environment" that will facilitate the consumption of data and content services, and enable fixed mobile convergence. It will also reduce the cost and time to market related to launching new telecom services / applications by enabling a shared resource approach (traditionally, new services are siloed across different system stacks... making the TCO of new service launch for Telco's excrutiatingly painful).
IMS will have the following benefits: provide the ability to provide "blended" services. This is pretty abstract, so it's best if I use an example:
Imagine a family: Father, Mother, and daughter (who goes to College)
- Daughter (using Voice over IP mobile phone and wifi connected laptop): Hi Dad! Can you help me with my homework project ?
- Father (at the office using desk phone and workstation): Sure, show what you're working on
- Daughter pushes (one button press) from laptop to Dad
- Father: Hmmm.... this is Mom's specialty. She's out, but I see that she's available (she is "online" on her mobile, and appears "online" to her family, much like Skype, or Push to Talk).
- Father pushes homework to Mother to her mobile phone
- Mom (using smartphone): I'm heading into a meeting.... Send me a picture of your work and I'll review it on my way... (few seconds later) This looks right. Your graph of Einstein's theory shows how mass variations affect curved space time. Good luck !
- Daughter: Thanks Mom, Dad ! See you at Spring Break...
Basically IMS will allow us to talk, do Videoconferencing, share documents, all at the same time... and not just mobile to mobile, but VoWIMAX (Voice over Next Gen Wifi), Fixed line telephony, or even Skype. The end device or phone compatibility will not matter any more. If I want to play Doom3 from my cell phone with someone who's playing Doom3 on a PC over high speed LAN this could be a possibility....
Any way... enough with the work stuff.... now off to San Diego. The flight from San Diego is about 1.2 hours... but it is at the other end of the state !!! I'll post more from there (providing I have WIFI access... my card has been acting up lately).